So, you’ve had your teeth whitened by your Cedar Park dentist at Whitestone Family Dentistry. And now you’re wondering how to keep your teeth looking their best. What you eat and what you drink can be one of the biggest culprits contributing to stained teeth. So if you want to keep your smile bright, there are a few foods and drinks you should consider cutting back on. Let’s get into the details!
Top Foods And Drinks To Avoid After Teeth Whitening Treatment
Wondering what you should cut out or cut back on to keep your pearly whites nice and bright? Here are some of the top foods and drinks that can stain your teeth after teeth whitening treatment.
- Coffee, tea, and wine – When it comes to beverages, these three are by far the biggest culprits. They’re all very high in pigments and compounds that can easily stick to teeth over time, resulting in stains.
- Soda, sports, and energy drinks – Mostly, dark sodas like cola cause stains, but some other types of soda, sports drinks, and energy drinks contribute to stains, too. These beverages are also usually really high in sugar. This can encourage the development of plaque and tartar, which may make your teeth look stained.
- Tomato sauce, curry, and soy sauce – Some types of tomato sauce, heavily spiced curry, and dark sauces like soy sauce can also contribute to tooth stains if they’re a large part of your diet.
- Dark, richly-colored fruits – Some fruits like blackberries, cherries, pomegranates, and blueberries are also really high in pigments that can discolor your teeth, so you may want to eat these fruits in moderation.
- Tobacco products – Okay, this isn’t food or a beverage. But smoking and the use of other types of tobacco like chewing tobacco are major causes of tooth stains. If you’ve had your teeth whitened, now is definitely the time to quit smoking or using other types of tobacco products.
Don’t Want To Change Your Diet? Keep Your Teeth White With These Tips
Of course, we know that you want to keep eating your favorite foods and drinking your morning coffee. So if you don’t want to eliminate the above foods and beverages from your diet completely, there are a few other steps you can take to reduce stain buildup on your teeth after you have them whitened:
- Brush or rinse after drinks or meals – Brushing your teeth immediately after every meal or after having a staining drink helps reduce stain buildup. Or, if this is not practical, you can rinse with mouthwash or tap water to help loosen staining compounds.
- Sip staining beverages with a straw – Using a straw helps bypass your front teeth, making beverages less likely to stain your pearly whites.
- Add whitening toothpaste/mouthwash to your routine – ADA-accepted whitening toothpaste and mouthwash can help keep your teeth bright and prevent stains from building up on your enamel.
- Come to our office for twice-yearly cleanings – Six-month teeth cleanings eliminate plaque and tartar buildup, and help keep your teeth bright. And during your oral exam, Dr. David Hsu can check on your teeth to make sure they’re healthy.
Want A Brighter Smile In Cedar Park? Come To Whitestone Family Dentistry!
Teeth whitening in Cedar Park is a great way to transform your smile and boost your confidence. If you’re interested in eliminating stains from your teeth, Dr. Hsu and our team are here for you. You can contact us online or give us a call at (512) 615-1240 to schedule a cosmetic dentistry consultation today, and take the first steps toward a brighter smile.